Friday, September 21, 2007

Supervision day-21/09/07

During the supervision, I was a bit confused. However, I still gained some learning from this supervision. Especially a more subtle way of setting frame and boundry. Hopefully I can learn this before the end of this placement.

Today I folded a lot of paper birds for the kids and Julie made a lot of piggy tails for them. Working with kids somehow does require a lot of creation.

I am aware of my internal upset when the children does not follow my instructions. Such as Sally always play a very tricky role. I like Al very much because she behaves herself like an typical Asian girl. However, being a therapist with children, I am still supposed to be aware of these counter-transference issues to be able to provide a good containment.
Working with kids I still try to find where I should provide boundry with such a "non-structure" therapy setting. I almost can visage all the internal turmoil when I have to work with a kid who makes me want to ask him or her behave themselves.

This conversation also reminds me of my own childhood experience. I hated children does not think of others. However, is it the process that a child learns to love themselves, to have a proper self-esteem?

Josephen responded to Jody's interaction with the preschooler " children like a real person instead of a person who tries to please them, because they feel safe"
The comment is quite interesting and triggers a lot of related thinking.

If I can't keep the boundry as a good gardener, a child will think I have the same ability as they have, so I won't be able to help them when they need me. At the same time, children also have to learn " yes, I am angry and being naughty but the person with me is aware of my situation and the reason why I am acting like this and the person can always be there with me. They won't leave me because of my temporary tantrum"

I notice I couldn't bear with Sally's outrage and consistant complaints. However, when I try to escape that I pass a message that " you are not allowed to get angry". The containment in fact is not only provided by time frame, most importantly is provided through my consistant and calm reactions to them with careful thoughts behind those responses.

No comments: